Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Website Spotlight: Eyes on the Prize


Website URL: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/eyesontheprize/story/index.html

Introductory Note:

Welcome to one in a series of posts which spotlight quality websites that I use with my U.S. History survey course students at Azusa Pacific University to enrich the regular material in our learning modules.

In this post, I limit myself to those specific aspects of the website which I find fit particularly well within our face-to-face class sessions (each student is required to bring a laptop to class) or as the basis for the students' regularly-assigned written reactions.

++++++++++

I ask the students to work through the following links:


For each topic I select, I like to use the following parts:

Introduction
Context
Press
Video

Here is the complete list of topics:

1 Emmett Till's Murder
2 The Montgomery Bus Boycott
3 Southern School Desegregation
4 Non-Violent Protests
5 The Freedom Rides
6 The Limits of Non-Violence
7 Project "C" in Birmingham
8 The March on Washington
9 Freedom Summer
10 The Freedom March from Selma to Montgomery, AL
11 The Nation of Islam and Malcolm X
12 Chicago Freedom Movement
13 Riots in Detroit
14 "Power to the People"
15 Poor People's Campaign
16 Vietnam and the Civil Rights Movement
17 The Black Panther Party
18 The Attica Prison Riot
19 Blacks Define Themselves
20 The First Black Southern Mayor
21 School Desegregation in Boston
22 The Bakke Case and Affirmative Action
23 Riots in Florida
24 Conflict in Chicago
25 Operation PUSH
26 Civil Rights Today


++++++++++

Concluding Note:

I hope you will use this blog post in conjunction with both the modules on my Learning Professor wiki and the numerous other posts in my Website Spotlight series.

1. The website spotlighted in this post fits within the following U.S. History survey course module on the wiki:
http://thelearningprofessor.wikispaces.com/Civil+Rights

2. The other blog posts in my Website Spotlight series--chronologically displayed by U.S. History survey course module-- can be found on this wiki page:
http://thelearningprofessor.wikispaces.com/WEBSITE+SPOTLIGHT

No comments:

Post a Comment